Sunday 24 January 2010

Looking Into Games






Kula World:
It's a platform/ Puzzle game. It pretty simple! Main character a Ball where it collects certen items and a key to get to the next level. I've add this in coz it's still an environment no matter the simplicity of it.






Jak II Renegade: Awesome Platform/Action game. Though it be good to add to my research since we are think of creating a futuristic city, and Jak II has some elements that could be useful.






Medievil: Again wanted to show the variety in environments.












Sonic The Hedgehog: Thought I add Sonic to show the development of 2d enviroments to 3d.










Tekken 6:




Tekken 3:
I've included Tekken 3 & 6 in my research coz it has different platforms where the characters interact with each other as well as to show how they've developed the game through the years everything a bit more hyper realistic in texture coz it not just a plan image stuck on an object or an image plan for a background. Alot of the props are made and well textured as well as the whole fighting arena (environment) causes various consequences on it based on what the characters do.










Ratchet & Clank:
is one of my favorite platform/action games cause of the wonderful and interesting environments it has.


Crash in a Hi-tech/futuristic platform








Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped
I've looked at Crash 3 coz it had more to offer for the original one (more characters/ more enemy's as well as different platforms themes from which you could choose from.











Crash Bandicoot:








Soul River:


Spyro The Dragon:


Metal Slug:






Comix Zone:


Wonder King: I found this image and thought it was quite interesting because of the busy background. It gives the illusion that it's 3d even though it's actually a 2d background.








Earth Worm Jim: An other good game with a little bit more colour that I thought had interesting backgrounds (environments) is Earth Worm Jim


Donkey Kong:










I've started by looking into 2D games as it was my first major influence
when I was growing up, the technology for 3d came later (as it did with TV/films)
I have made reference to Super Mario Land on the original Nintendo Gameboy
as it was one of the first computer games I really got into, it has a great
range of environments placed throughout different stages of the game.
The story is simple, the main Character "Mario" has to complete each
level by avoiding challenging and dangerous obstacles in order to rescue
the Princess.

Throughout the game you are faced with very different environments
based on a theme of real world places such as:
Easter Island
Egypt
Ancient Tombs
Undersea
Sky (above the clouds)
Space

And more...!

This not only puts your in-game character into different visual situations,
but keeps the player interested in how the game plays as the obstacles/enemies
adapt as the environment changes.

Games are an interesting medium to examine for environments, especially
Since they can offer such a vast range of examples and creativity
to reference.

I thought I'd look at games for ideas on how they have done their environments just to make give me an idea for our project:

No comments:

Post a Comment